Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Free From Rules, Bound By Freedom


                         
                 Welcome back to NEWMEDIA707. Its new content every week. this weeks edition is about  university you heard back then and the reality that hit your face maybe... Enjoy reading and don't forget to leave your comment down there...                   
PHOTO 1 Retrieved from Phone Gallery
I remember back in high school all the “cool dudes and chics” teachers used to invite for career guidance and counseling. Their sight always rang bells in my head and their words got me thinking whether I was putting good enough efforts to join the university. “Work hard, score a good grade and join the university. Huko maisha ni raha tupu’’ well I heeded their wise counsel and joined the Technical University of Mombasa on September 3rd 2018 on a Monday. I had hit one target and now I had \to aim for the second target.
I was both happy and sad at the same time, happy because I can finally have unlimited fun with no one keeping an eye on me; sad because am in a whole new place new people new lifestyles new everything. First came with the accent. The Swahili accent from coastal people is so different from the slang Swahili spoken in ‘bara’.  One tries to feign the accent and you left looking like some idiot.
                   
I stayed in the campus hostels but the ‘enemies of sleep’ AKA kunguni made me relocate to bedsitters around the campus. That comes with a whole new freedom, your going out or coming in bothers no one except you. Then came the trying new stuff, new friends and relationships from different diversities, the same meal seven days a week tatu pojo/maharagwe [3 chapatis and a plate of green grams/ beans] new clothes and different genres of music.  Apparently almost everybody in campus was born on Friday so you know how that goes, it’s parte after parte, alcohol and ‘weed’ rock. Everything comes with an expense, it’s all fun until your account balance reads 27 bob!
                                                 
PHOTO 2 King'ori and Janet Lulu FM presenters during
happy moments
Retrieved from Phone Gallery
Even so I must confess the university has been one of the best teachers, the experiences, the ups and downs, the breakthroughs, encounters, thrills and fantasies and best of all achieving being able to hold on to my course, mass communication. What the ‘cool dudes and chics’ said, I can comfortably has been true although it has limits. Am still young and with lots of experiences yet to exploit though am sure I will in because old age knocks.
A lot is yet to be said but I hope you’ve enjoyed. Kindly read, comment and share.

17 comments:

  1. At least you got something to take home

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great and funny 😂 experience there

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think We have had the taste of this✨ splendid litterature

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Article. This writing gives me fragments of my own experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. U mean we speak slang Kiswahili back home u need to be serious bro🤣but any way i am happy u have learnt a lesson in ur campus life, bravo✊

    ReplyDelete